Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Variegated Yarn Baby Blanket



So this is my first knitting post! For all of you who know me, you know I love to knit! I made this blanket for a friend at work who is having a baby girl at the end of October! It is still sitting in my locker at work, because I haven't worked with her yet this week, but I hope she enjoys the finished product! 

Props to the people who provided this pattern. You can find the original pattern here. It is called the Sunny Baby Blanket. The original pattern suggested a solid color, but since it is blocky, I chose a pretty variegated yarn, called Neapolitan by Impeccable! yarns. I bought it at Michael's. (Random tip when you are buying yarn or other art supplies: there is always a 40% coupon you can use at Michael's from your Sunday paper when you buy things that aren't cheap or on sale. I use one every time I go!)


Here's the pattern: 


Supplies


1. Worsted weight yarn, about 800 yards. I had to use 1 1/8 large skeins to get my desired blanket length

2. US Size 8 circular needles that are at least 29" long 

3. Gauge: I'm lazy so I don't do this, but if you're into it - - 17 stitches and 32 rows = 10cm in garter stitch

Instructions

1. Cast on 132 stitches

2. Rows 1-16: Knit 

3. Begin pattern on row 17: 
             
           Row 1 (right side): Knit.
           Row 2 (wrong side): Knit 8, (purl 8, knit 4) 9 times, purl 8, knit 8.
           Rows 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11: Repeat row 1.
           Rows 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12: Repeat row 2.
           Rows 13-18: Knit.
4. Repeat pattern (rows 1-18) 11 times more (or to desired length - - I knitted 7 sets of the pattern total)
5. Repeat rows 1-12 once more.
6. Knit 16 rows for border
7. Bind off, and weave loose ends to wrong side of work. Wash and block.






Happy Knitting! 

Love Abby 

No comments:

Post a Comment